Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Not Wordless Wednesday

We are working with Vacation Bible School this week so it has been busy getting to church by 8:45 and staying until after noon every day!  N is working with games, E is with the 4 and 5 yr. olds, and I am in the kitchen with snacks.  Our theme is SonSurf Beach Bash so the snacks have a beach/ocean animal theme.  The kindergarten teacher in me loves this kind of stuff!  Here are a couple of examples of what we have had this week.

The Beach: vanilla pudding, graham cracker "sand", and a gummi octupus.  Who wouldn't love that?
Oysters: vanilla wafers, strawberry frosting, gel icing eyes, and a marshmallow "pearl".  These were adorable!

I have actually been running this week even though we are under a heat advisory and the temps are only getting down to the low 80s each night.  Can you say yuck?!  On Monday, I was supposed to run 50 minutes, but cut it to 30 due to some pain in my shin.  Last fall/winter, I had a long bout of Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, which is a fancy term for really crappy shin splints.  After multiple trips to the general practioner, an MRI, 3 trips to the Sports Medicine doctor, 4 weeks of physical therapy, and almost 6 months off, I don't take any chances!  I think the minor pain was due to running 7 miles that included hills on Saturday.  I did do some speedwork on Monday during my run.  Today, I did 5 miles in 49:30 and was quite happy that I did not have any shin pain.  This is an easy week in my training cycle so my long run this weekend will be 4 miles.  I'm looking forward to a short Saturday morning run! 

Off to plan more VBS snacks and figure out what to feed the family for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment